I have been to an innumerable amount of marriages since the age of 6. Heavy white fabric, brilliance, glamour, and opulence has always been part of a wedding ceremony. A long time ago, women were not so aware of their body shapes and were fashion slaves. The times spent on fittings, and trying on shoes can be exhausting if one does not know how to choose the best dress for her body. Fashion models are hourglass shaped and most consumers perceive themselves as hourglass as well, fashion retailers mostly furnish for this body shape. No wonder most women end up with unflattering clothes. This blog is about finding the dress best suited for a woman’s shape whether she is pear-shaped, inverted triangle shaped, apple or rectangular.
Find Your Body Shape FIRST!
You want to look your best the day of their marriage. If she wants to feel comfortable and you want to look your best, start with these simple steps:
You need to be in your underwear. (Wear an unpadded bra or a normal fitting bra and undies to find out your measurements.)
Arm yourself with a measuring tape (inches or centimetres),
….and most importantly do not cheat on yourself.
1- Guideline: To find your exact body type, measure exactly your bust waist and hip: Find your body shape and click here.
Mine were plugged in as follows:
- bra size 32.2835 inches
- waist size: 28.3465 inches
- hip size: 39.96063 inches
My body is A Pear Body Shape.
My upper waist gradually slopes out to my hips. I tend to gain weight in my butt and thighs before I do my lower abdomen. A ball
Get The Look For Your Body:
- Hourglass body shape: any dress with a fitted waist. Halter, boat and V-necks will all flatter your fuller bust. High necked dresses should be avoided. (Kim Kardashian has an hourglass body shape)
- Pear body shape: A strapless gown can enhance a shape with a medium to small cup size as well as a gown that is small at the waist then slopes into a ballgown or an A-line skirt.(Rihanna has a pear shaped body)
- Apple Body Shape: An Empire style dress enhances creates an elegant look with a superb silhouette. (Jessica Simpson and Meghan Trainor have apple shaped body)
- Strawberry or Inverted triangle Body Shape: Mermaid dresses are made for you.(Renee Zellweger has a strawberry body shape)
- Rectangle body shape: Hip hugging dresses are a must. Create the illusion of curves with a belted dress, an empire style with a straight cut as of the hip. British research stated that it is the most common body shape for British women. (Cameron Diaz and Gwyneth Paltrow have a rectangular body shape)
Now That You Have a Better Perspective: Shop The Look
2- Now that you know which shape you truly are, it is time to choose your favorite trend.
In the past, white was the only color clients were aiming for. Nowadays, colors range from silver, black, ivory, and pinks as well. Before a bride chooses the color, fabric or designer she is aiming for, she needs to make a selection.
This year, the Gypsy trend is in: Long trumpet shaped sleeves, off the shoulder, A-shaped skirts, and 3D-shaped embroidery on fabric is very fashionable.
My favorite designers I came across for wedding dresses: Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad, Monique Lhuillier, Reem Acra and Naeem Khan. Do not hesitate to look through my favorite designs.
Oscar De La Renta Spring 2017
Monique Lhuillier Spring 2017
Naeem Khan Spring 2017
Finally, stay away from high necklines or strapless dresses if you have a large bust. Remember, half your time could be cut down if you shop your body shape.